Monday, March 22, 2010

Him


Before and above everything I just wanted to say thank you and that I appreciate very much for this opportunity that has been given to me, This boy is the representation of my passion and why I want to be a Famine Youth Leader.
I have always loved people, but about 4 years ago, I watched a video by Gary Haugen, president of the International Justice Mission. He was instrumental to shaping my passion and helping me put a name to it. He pointed out a verse, Isaiah 1:17 which says, Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the orphan. Fight for the right of widows. In the video he talked about how God being the source of all justice, compassion, power, truth and goodness is most offended by the abuse of it. It moved me, changed the way I viewed the world and I knew then that I wanted to use my life to serve people.

I would spend my life championing the rights of those oppressed and bringing relief to those who are in pain. However being Chinese and the eldest in the family with two very young brothers filial piety is probably one of the strongest values instilled. For now, with the consent of my parents I have publicly pledged a year of my life, upon my graduation in 2011, to doing just that. I know that my heart is with His people, but I am still exploring the different channels in which I can serve. Amongst the many, what I feel for the most is injustice and poverty.
Injustice applies to any act that involves unfairness to another or the violation of one's rights. Perhaps my view on what is right or wrong is more rigid, or perhaps I know Him whom I serve never intended such outright abuse on His people. This is why I desire to bring change, to make right where evil has caused injustice.
Poverty is the other area that I feel as strongly about. When I think about poverty, I understand it first and foremost as a severe need or a lack. When I read or witness the pain of those in poverty, I am indefinitely moved to do something to change it, but I being one can only provide or bring that much food or any sort of material things. So bigger than that is the realization that what these people need the most is not of the physical; instead it is hope that sustains them through their bleakest moment, and the light in which they can cling onto. Practically, I need to provide the physical to improve and better the lives of those in poverty. However that brings only temporary relief, lasting only as long as the material does, instead hope in a purpose and bigger truth is inexhaustible and changes their life eternally.

The picture as mentioned represents my heart and all that which I stand for. I keep this picture in my Bible. It serves as a reminder to me, that in everything I do, it should be fueled by my love for Him and His people. His face is the representation of the many that I wish to serve because in doing so, I would have been serving also their Maker.

By Carmen Looi

No comments:

Post a Comment